The Northern Territory government has released a new strategy for the oil spill from the controversial Deepwater Horizon disaster, which has claimed more than 9,000 lives.
Key points:The Northern Territory has put its oil spill prevention plan on hold for six monthsThe government is planning for a six-month wait to complete the planThe oil spill is the largest in the world and has caused the region to become a focus for the region’s economic woes and the spill is already affecting Indigenous communities.
The Government of the Northern Australia Territory has set up a six month delay to the plan for the spill, which will be rolled out across the territory.
Key Points:The oil has washed up on the shores of the Murray-Darling Basin and caused an oil slick to cover more than 3,000 square kilometresThe NT Government has set a six week delay to completing the plan in an effort to prevent a massive spill from happening.
A report by the NT Government says the risk to the local community is higher than in other parts of the country.
“This is the biggest spill in the history of the industry, the biggest oil spill in Australian history, the largest marine spill in a century, and the largest oil spill for the territory,” Chief Minister Adam Giles said.
The NT government has put the plan on indefinite hold, saying it has been unable to work out how long it will take to complete.””
Our plan has been put on hold because of the huge oil spill.”
The NT government has put the plan on indefinite hold, saying it has been unable to work out how long it will take to complete.
“We have to ensure that we have a plan that is effective,” Mr Giles said on Thursday.
The spill has affected remote communities across the NT and the region has been left reeling from the impact of the oil.”
The risk to people in remote communities and the communities themselves is a huge concern.”
The spill has affected remote communities across the NT and the region has been left reeling from the impact of the oil.
The NT Environment Minister said the region would not be able to cope with the spill until the oil was fully contained.
“That’s why it’s not going to be the end of the world.”
Until we’ve got the oil fully contained, the regional environment is going to continue to suffer,” he said.’
We’re going to get through this’Chief Minister Adam’s department said it was already working with other parts on a plan to clean up the spill site.”
It’s going to take us about six months to get that oil out,” Mr Gillis said.
Mr Giles said the government had been working on a strategy to prepare for the worst of the spill for months.”
And we’ve done some very, very difficult things in the process,” he told ABC Radio NT.”
What we’re looking at, if we don’t do it, is the worst possible scenario and that’s a six or a six and a half month wait.
“He said the Northern Territories Government had put the oil plan on an indefinite hold because they were unable to determine how long the delay would be.”
Because of the magnitude of the situation and the nature of the damage, we’ve had to put the regional plan on a very long pause.
“So it’s going through a process of refinement and planning that we will put into place over the next six months.”
Mr Giles has said the NT was prepared for the risk of a massive oil spill.
“I think it’s fair to say that there’s a real risk in this region of a large oil spill, particularly in the northern part of the Territory,” he added.
“But we are working very hard to ensure we’re prepared for that.”
Topics:environment,environmental-impact,environment-management,environment,nsw,abbott-tony,bob,alice-springs-0870,linden-2400,alp,nt,australiaMore stories from New South Wales